Thursday 31 May 2012

Past Perfect Simple

The past perfect simple expresses an action taking place before a certain time in the past.

Form of Past Perfect Simple


Positive
Negative
Question
no differences
I had spoken.
I had not spoken.
Had I spoken?
For irregular verbs, use the past participle form . For regular verbs, just add ed.

Exceptions in Spelling when Adding ed

Exceptions in Spelling when Adding ed
Example
after final e, only add d
love – loved
final consonant after a short, stressed vowel
or l as final consonant after a vowel is doubled
admit – admitted
travel – travelled
final y after a consonant becomes i
hurry – hurried

Use of Past Perfect

  • action taking place before a certain time in the past (putting emphasis only on the fact, not the duration)

Example: Before I came here, I had spoken to Jack.

  • Conditional Sentences Type III (condition that was not given in the past)

Example: If I had seen him, I would have talked to him.

Signal Words

already, just, never, not yet, once, until that day (with reference to the past, not the present)