Tuesday 6 March 2012

Quantifiers: A lot of, Many and Much



much inglés
many inglés
A lot of, much and many are used to express an undefined quantity.

We use a lot of with countable and uncountable nouns. It is used in affirmative sentences, although it is possible to use it in negative and interrogative sentences.

a lot inglésMuch and many are used in negative and interrogative sentences. They are rarely used in affirmative sentences.

  • Much is used with uncountable nouns (for example: much water).
  • Many is used with countable nouns (for example: many books).


Affirmative
Negative
Interrogative
I eat a lot of apples.
I don't eat a lot of apples.
Do you eat a lot of apples?
I drink a lot of water.   
I don't drink a lot of water.
Do you drink a lot of water?
I eat many apples.
I don't eat many apples.
Do you eat many apples?
I drink much water.
I don't drink much water.
Do you drink much water?

Activities: